Have a grow!
It is great fun growing food in your own
kitchen. Have your kids ever grown cress? It is
very simple and the cress seeds will grow so
quickly that you will have cress to eat within a
week. You could also grow mustard at the same
time so that you end up with mustard and cress for
your sandwich or to go into your salad.
You will need:
1. A packet of cress or mustard seeds (or both).
2. A pot to grow your cress in, for example a clean ice cream
tub, clean yogurt pot, a cardboard fruit or vegetable pot.
3. Kitchen paper or cotton wool.
4. Water.,1. Make sure that your pot is clean.
2. Soak the kitchen paper or cotton wool in water until it feels
damp to touch.,3. Put the damp kitchen paper or cotton wool in the bottom of
4. Sprinkle some cress seeds over the cotton wool or kitchen
paper and then put the pot in a warm place.,5. Keep checking your cress each day and within about 7 days you should have a pot full of cress.
You can make delicious and simple egg and cress sandwiches with your own home grown cress. The kids will be delighted to eat what they have grown themselves. Check out our sandwich recipe